RWU Web Links
Links to Rail Industry Safety Issues & Resources
- FRA - Office of Railroad Safety FRA's Office of Railroad Safety promotes and regulates safety throughout the Nation's railroad industry.
- The Pump Handle The Pump Handle is a current events blog on workplace safety and public health issues.
- Combating Fatigue in the Rail Industry The Association of American Railroads argues to allow rail carriers to self-regulate their fatigue problems.
- Railroaders Guide to Healthy Sleep A resource from the Division of Sleep Medicine at Harvard Medical School. Sponsored by the Federal Railroad Administration, an operating mode of the U.S. Department of Transportation. Produced in partnership with WGBH Educational Foundation and Volpe, The National Transportation Systems Center
- United Steel Workers "Blame the Worker" Blame the Worker H & S Program
- US DOT - Operator Fatigue Management (OFM) Program Fatigue may produce physical and mental decrements in alertness, vigilance, and decision-making that can increase the risk of human error and result in fatalities and injuries. However, the incidence of fatigue is underestimated in virtually every transportation mode because it is hard to quantify and measure.
- How Sleep Affects Safety The tragedies of Chernobyl, Three Mile Island and the Exxon Valdez all occurred during the night shift.
- American Sleep Association – Focus on resolving and alleviating… Sleep Deprivation
- The Utlimate guide to Drousy Driving - “An estimated 100 million drivers have actually fallen asleep at the wheel if you multiply the poll results in relation to the number of vehicles on the road. About 13% of drivers doze off at least once a month while driving.”
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome A variety of studies by CDC and others have shown that between 1 and 4 million Americans suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).
- American Sleep Apnea Association The ASAA is a non-profit organization dedicated to reducing injury, disability, and death from sleep apnea and to enhancing the well-being of those affected by this common disorder.
- 2008 Railway Safety Act An Act to amend title 49, 3 United States Code, to prevent railroad fatalities, injuries, 4 and hazardous materials releases, to authorize the Federal 5 Railroad Safety Administration, and for other purposes.
- Environmental Group - An environmental organization that helps railroad workers & their families receive monetary compensation from government-funded trust funds.